It’s not just the food we eat and drink that can affect our skin, but the food we put on it as well! There are so many face wash’s moisturizers, lotions, and creams that claim to “cleanse” our skin, but have you ever noticed the long list of ingredients? Do you even know what these long and impossible to pronounce words are and where they come from? Chances are you don’t.
Each morning and night, people are “cleansing” or “moisturizing” their skin with everyday products that contain toxic substances including preservatives, additives, perfumes and dyes. Think about your typical morning…you might shampoo and condition your hair, wash your body with soap or body wash, cleanse and moisturize your face, and finish off with some antiperspirant, aftershave or perfume. For us girls we then might put on some foundation, powder, blush, mascara, and maybe some lipstick. We don’t even think about the fact that each one of these products we are using can typically have anywhere from 10-20 toxic ingredients. Before you know it, you’ve just put 200 chemicals on your face and you haven’t even stepped outside your bathroom yet!
That’s why I started up IS THERE FOOD ON MY FACE. In this section I’ll provide easy skincare recipes using all natural food ingredients that will moisturize cleanse, and tone your skin without the nasty chemicals.
IS THERE FOOD ON MY FACE RECIPES:
- Manuka Honey and Banana Face Mask – For dry skin to moisturize and hydrate.
- Turmeric Face Mask – For inflammation, redness, acne and wrinkles.
- Manuka Honey and Cinnamon Face Mask – For acne, inflammation and redness.
- Chocolate and Coffee Face Mask – For removing dead skins cells, and to “wake up” the skin.
- Avocado, Cacao and Honey Face Mask – Moisturizes the skin, reduces redness and inflammation, anti-aging.
WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR IN YOUR SKINCARE AND BEAUTY PRODUCTS:
Make sure you read the labels on your skincare products. Here are the ones to watch out for and avoid!
- Phthalates: shown to cause developmental defects and can harm the unborn.
- Sodium Laurate or Lauryl Sulphate (SLS): a possible human carcinogen
- BHA and BHT: can cause thryroid, liver and kidney problems; mimic estrogen; can cause allergic reactions.
- Parabens: can also mimic estrogens; has been found in human breast cancer tissues.
- Fragrance/Parfum: can cause allergies, asthma and migraines.
- Polyethylene Glycol and propylene glycol: cause skin irritation and could harm the nervous system.
- Triclosan: a possible human carcinogen; may cause endocrine disruption.
- Coal Tar Dyes/FD&C colours: animal studies show that almost all are cancer causing.
- DEA compounds: a skin/eye irritant and causes contact dermatitis
- Chemical Sunscreens: oxybenzone and octylmethoxycinnamate, may cause endocrine disruption. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are safer alternatives.