I am a huge fan of home baking – especially double chocolate brownies! The nutritionist side of me was therefore extremely excited to come across a recipe for a healthy take on the gooey chocolate brownie. This version is gluten free and paleo friendly and serves as the perfect treat when you’re craving something sweet and chocolatey. The use of avocados in this recipe gives a melt in your mouth, fudgey texture and also provides a great source of monounsaturated fatty acids and potassium. This is definitely a new favourite for me and one I will be making again very soon!
- 100g Vegan Baking Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Large Avocados (about 1 cup puréed)
- ½ cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour or Brown Rice Flour
- 3 Eggs
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (optional for garnish)
- Heat the coconut oil and baking chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for about 20 seconds at a time until melted. Make sure to stir in between so it doesn’t curdle.
- Puree the avocados in a food processor until completely smooth.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the avocados in a large mixing bowl.
- With an electric mixer, beat the remaining ingredients into the batter until smooth.
- Line a brownie pan with baking paper and pour in the batter, smoothing out the edges.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 30 mins. Sprinkle coconut over the brownie and toast for 5 minutes for garnish. Cool, serve and enjoy!