Happy Easter everyone! I know it’s been a while since my last post…over a month! But I’ve been very busy with some exciting projects coming up, so watch this space!
I always get so excited about Easter. What’s not to love? Chocolate, the cinnamon smell of Hot Cross Buns in the morning, chocolate and chocolate. Did I mention chocolate?? For me, Easter also means more time to spend with friends and family and more time to experiment in the kitchen. So when you have some time on your hands this long weekend, try making these Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns!
This recipe uses the Healtheries wheat and gluten free bread mix, but you can use any other gluten free flour mix. Thanks to Healtheries for this awesome Easter recipe!
- 3 teaspoons (10g) dried yeast
- 1 ¾ cups warm milk
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3 ¼ cups (plus 2 tablespoons extra) Healtheries Simple Bread Mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp salt
- 60g butter
- 2 cups sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tbsp Apricot Jam, warmed to glaze
1. Place yeast, milk and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Whisk to dissolve sugar. Rest for 10 minutes.
2. Sift together first measure of bread mix, spices and salt into the large bowl of an electric mixer with dough hooks. Using fingertips, rub through butter.
3. Add sultanas, eggs and yeast mixture. Beat for 7 minutes.
4. Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop mixture into generous mounds on a greased 30x20cm lamington pan, making 3 rows of 4 mounds each. Allow space for dough to rise.
5. Rest the dough in a warm place for 45 minutes until almost doubled. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced.
6. Mix extra 2 tablespoons bread mix, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tablespoon water to a paste and pipe crosses on buns.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and browned. Brush on jam while still warm.
Serve warm with a bit of low fat spread and your favourite jam. Enjoy!