The chia seed in my opinion is one of the greatest superfoods out there. Also known as the “running food”, Aztec warriors used to take just 1 teaspoon of chia seeds to sustain them for a 24 hour battle! AMAZING! The seed was also used for medicinal purposes to relieve joint pain as well as used as an offering in religious ceremonies. It was actually banned after the Spanish conquest because of its association with the Aztec religion.
The consumption of these seeds are now becoming increasingly popular because of their amazing health benefits and the fact that they are one of the richest plant sources of omega-3 fatty acids known. Furthermore, research has also found that eating them daily may help with weight loss.
10 Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Helps to reduce blood pressure
- Helps to stabilize blood sugar (low GI)
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Aids in weight loss
- Helps in detoxification and elimination from the bowel
- Helps to improve brain function
- A great source of antioxidants to protect against cellular damage
- A good source of protein for muscle metabolism
- A source of calcium for strong bones
- Helps to create a strong immune system
The great thing about these seeds is that they are so versatile! Sprinkle some over your morning cereal or porridge, add them to yoghurt, smoothies, soups or even use them in baking. They also absorb 10 times their weight in water and form a gel like substance in our digestive system which is very filling – great for those watching their waistlines!
Go and try some this week! You can find Chia seeds in your local supermarket or health food store and they are also available to buy online.